Posse Ride

I am sure what is foremost at this point in the ride manager's and AERC's
mind is liability and litigation.  I am a court reporter, and I can tell you
from experience that if there is litigation, the attorney will sue everyone
involved looking for the deepest pocket.   Hopefully, there is some indemnity
agreement between the ride manager and AERC, which means that they will
defend the ride manager if there is a lawsuit filed.

It sounds like this gentleman was seriously hurt.  AERC insurance should pay
for the medical bills, but sometimes the limits of the policy doesn't cover
everything.  In that case, he will have no recourse but to sue the riders,
the driver, ride manager, AERC.

If I were ride manager, I would want my own insurance and my own attorney,
because it sounds like the table is already being set to place blame on lack
of education of the ride manger.    Of course, then one could argue why AERC
endorsed an event with a ride manager who lacked safety training.

I have shown and bred dogs and founded a local club.  Anything can happen at
a dog show, i.e., dog bites, people falling, whatever.  In order to protect
everyone involved we incorporated the club (non-profit so no taxes) and
procured insurance for the event ($1,000,000 worth).

Perhaps the Posse ride already has those protective measures in place.  I
hope so.

Carrie Morgan
Orange County
(fbdsympa@aol.com)