Re: The Posse Ride (From the Ride Manager)

Jeff,
I don't for a moment blame you for the position you have taken with regard
to AERC''s lack of support. It seems that it is easier to point the finger
and assign fault than it is to take a courageous stand and support the ride
managers who are the backbone of our sport. I do not understand why it is so
hard to sanction the two riders who showed such willful disregard for the
safety of others in their mad dash for the finish. Even given that in the
heat of the moment, they erred tragically, it is unfathomable that they
would show such lack of concern for the welfare of the man they injured. I
do not think it is at all too severe to ban them from any future competition
in AERC sanctioned events. There can never be any excuse for placing
competition ahead of the welfare of anyone or any animal. To blame these
rider's actions on the ride manager's inexperience or lack of education is
clearly an inappropriate response from the AERC Board and you have every
right to expect a public recant of such a cynical and unfair response. From
all that I have read regarding this incident, it seems clear to me that this
was a wreck that could only have been avoided by the two riders. They chose
to place their own need to win above the safety of others and therefore
should bear the full responsibility for the ensuing accident. I am hopeful
that you will be granted an apology from AERC and that you will be able to
continue your management of the Posse Ride.
Pat Super