HELP! I'm new!

Debbie DBates12858@aol.com
Hi
  I am new to this sport of endurance trail riding.  I am 42 years old and have a 9 year old appaloosa mare. I would like to get into this sport, but don't know where to begin.  I live in upstate New York.  Is there anyone out there that could steer me in the right direction?  Is there any "beginner" rides scheduled for the area in which I live?  Also, do I have to have any special tack to participate in a beginner ride?  Any help would be appreciated.
                                      Debbie