Re: RC: Re: head tossing

We have a head-tosser, when we bought him, his previous
owner used a tie-down on him all the time. He gets so
anxious and wants to go, it frustrates him. He is in a
hackamore, so I know it's not his mouth. My solution and
believe me, I am no horse trainer, but it works for him:
head tossing is only allowed to go so high. A little is ok,
but once past the line I have in my head for him, he is
asked to stop and back. Only about 4 steps. We then stand
and then continue. Going home is the toughest for poor
Classy, he gets so frustrated at me. But if I have plenty
of daylight, he gets stopped and backed on every one. The
first time I tried this, it took about 2 miles for him to
get it figured out. Now when I ride him, it takes just a
couple of reminders and then he's ok. He still is
frustrated, but at least he knows what is coming if he
breaks the rules. I don't like tie-downs if I can get away
with it.

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~