Re: RC: Re: head tossing

In a message dated 04/06/2000 8:19:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
MBlanchrd@aol.com writes:

<< After buying him, I boarded him, and my barnlord June (Knows All About
Horses and YOU Don't) told me to "put that horse in a tie down NOW!! He's
just being a brat!"  She even offered me a steel cable tie down to use on
him. It looked strong enough to tie down a aircraft carrier. >>

The longer I live, the more horses I ride, the more I believe most horses are
not being bratty....they hurt somewhere. Find the reason, the location, get
rid of the pain, and the horse can be as different as night and day.  Force
and restriction do not work, eliminating the pain or discomfort often does. I
suppose one can restrict a horse and force him into some sort of comliance,
but the horse is happier and much more cooperative (therefore more fun) if
you can find the reason for his misbehavior as a result of some sort of pain.
And to think it only took me about 55 years to learn this!

Barbara