Re: RC: Horse Training HELP!

GrgGmiller@aol.com wrote:

> I need some advice from the experienced riders out there, preferrably with
> dressage & endurance experience........
> I bought my first young horse 2 yrs ago, trained her myself with the help of
> John Lyons video tapes .  All went well for first 15 months, until she
> approached 4  1/2 yrs old.  I started taking dressage lessons with her and
> asking for light contact.  Within 3 months of lessons, I have gotten
> "bronc'd" off twice.  Once on the trail after crossing water on a loose rein,
>  and once in the arena practicing 20 meter circles at the trot.  Thinking I
> might need her and me in full dressage training, I changed instructors.  My
> mare has been in full training for 4 months now.  The trainer says that it
> will be another 6 months before she is ready to take out on the trail, that
> she is very insecure and I am too novice to handle her on the trail.  It is
> costing $800 per month to train her and me.  At this rate, I will have a
> $10,000.  5 yr old trail arabian!  I have been riding horses for 5 years, 5
> days a week, taking dressage lessons constantly.  I am competent, but not
> highly experienced.  MY QUESTION:  Does this sound normal, or is my pocket
> book the one getting trained?
> P.S.  The instructor loves to tell me how uncapable I am and how everytime I
> ride her, she (the trainer) has to spend 2 days fixing her.  I have lost all
> confidence in myself and my decisions.  HELP.
> BON

Sorry to hear your problem. Have you ever tried PNH? I am a level 3
student and I have not seen a horse yet that it does not work on. Where
are you maybe I can hook you up with a PNH instructor. As for your
dressage instructor dump her. She does not have all the answers. And if
she is blaming your horse on your inexperience then she is not looking
at the whole picture. Julie