Re: RC: Horse Training HELP!

Hi Bon
Looks like everyone is in agreement: keep the horse; dump the trainer. I
almost lost one of Hal's best sons due to a dressage trainer who was
unfamiliar with Arabians. Some horses can take the day to day repetition
of dressage; young Arabians cannot. I told the buyer when she purchased
Magnifico as a 2 year old to think of Arabians, particularly Russian
ones, as a year or two younger than they are--- both physically and
emotionally. I do not believe they can handle such a strict regime until
they are much older than three and even at 5 need variety; that is why
cross training is so important. She promised me she would alternate
between dressage and trail starting at 3. Well she had a Hilda Geurney
(sp?) devotee who was probably a great dressage trainer (and I have the
HIGHEST respect for the principles of dressage) but she didn't know
BEANS about Arabs. In fact, she told Sherry not to buy ANY Arabian until
she saw Niko's movement. Well, just because he moved like a Warmblood
didn't mean he had the temperament of one. He was wonderful at first.
Placed first in his first class and for fun they entered him in the next
level where he had not as yet been trained. He got 2nd. They were
ecstatic and went full boar on the training. One day he BLEW UP! By the
time Linda Hedgpeth bought him (at my pleading-- I knew what had
happened) he had 26 ways to get riders off his back--- she counted. With
much patience and trail riding he is now wonderful again. Took her about
6 months (and there was a point where she wondered if I was REALLY her
friend!)
Dressage is WONDERFUL training; just needs to be tempered with good
judgment about your horse's readiness and tolerance for the discipline.
And NO ONE should undermine your confidence!!! My guess is the trainer
is either VERY ignorant or has her eye on a new Mercedes! My advise
would be to find one who has your horse's and your best interests at
heart!
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!