From: GrgGmiller@aol.com [mailto:GrgGmiller@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 3:08 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Horse Training HELP!

I need some advice from the experienced riders out there, preferrably with
dressage & endurance experience........
I bought my first young horse 2 yrs ago, trained her myself with the help of
John Lyons video tapes .  All went well for first 15 months, until she
approached 4  1/2 yrs old.  I started taking dressage lessons with her and
asking for light contact.  Within 3 months of lessons, I have gotten
"bronc'd" off twice.  Once on the trail after crossing water on a loose
rein,
 and once in the arena practicing 20 meter circles at the trot.  Thinking I
might need her and me in full dressage training, I changed instructors.  My
mare has been in full training for 4 months now.  The trainer says that it
will be another 6 months before she is ready to take out on the trail, that
she is very insecure and I am too novice to handle her on the trail.  It is
costing $800 per month to train her and me.  At this rate, I will have a
$10,000.  5 yr old trail arabian!  I have been riding horses for 5 years, 5
days a week, taking dressage lessons constantly.  I am competent, but not
highly experienced.  MY QUESTION:  Does this sound normal, or is my pocket
book the one getting trained?
P.S.  The instructor loves to tell me how uncapable I am and how everytime I
ride her, she (the trainer) has to spend 2 days fixing her.  I have lost all
confidence in myself and my decisions.  HELP.
BON