Re: RC: First Foal

I get iodine on the navel first thing,  then do whatever imprinting I'm
going to do and help the mare dry the foal off .  By this time it is
normally trying to stand so I release it to get its motor coordination
together and start nursing.  I keep an eye on the foal and make sure it
passes the meconium, and make sure the mare passes the placenta -- which I
check for intactness then put in a bucket so the vet can do his own check.
The vet is always called first thing in the morning and he comes out to
check the mare and foal and draw some foal blood to check for a good level
of antibodies (mare always gets vaccinated and wormed  about a month before
she's due).  I don't do any worming right after foaling, but your vet
should be your guide on that.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky