Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #423

In a message dated 03/16/2000 3:19:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net writes:

<< Well there you go, its the owners convinience that you rug as its so much
 quicker to groom a clipped and rugged horse... I live in the West Midlands
 so we never have mud, Ho Ho ( sort of an English joke as Manchesters the
 only wetter city area). However I find using a rubber curry after m >>

SIGH.............apparently I have again been misread.

I clip my 23 year old Cushings syndrome gelding because, even in the middle
of summer, he retains a winter coat. 90 degree temperatures, which I know are
unheard of in England, are quite common in the United States. And  I live in
a temperate rain forest climate, (WA state), where it rains for 9 months out
of the year. Rain rot is a very real possibility to a horse like mine, who's
on pasture 24/7 and prefers to stand in the rain rather than in his very
nice, very roomy and very clean run-in shed. That's the only reason I blanket
my horse in the winter, as his hair is quite long enough to keep him warm in
even subfreezing temperatures.

I don't give a rat's ass how "convenient" clipping is or isn't..my horse gets
a grooming every day whether I ride him or not, because it's HEALTHIER for
him. (and, I should say, I enjoy grooming him.)
 I wouldn't clip him if he shed out properly, but he doesn't. THEREFORE I
will continue to clip my horse's winter coat in the warm months of the year,
because when it's hot and he's hairy, he can very die of heat stroke.
If I had wanted a "convenient" pet, I certainly would never have gotten a
HORSE.

Michelle
and Jordan (I don't care what she thinks, mom, clip me!!)