Re: RC: Re: Horse slaughter

In a message dated 3/16/00 9:08:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Kenzie_Kelly@spc.com writes:

<< The people arguing (rightly!  no flames please!) that we
      should have closer, local slaughter houses to ease the suffering of
      horses that must be destroyed (for whatever reason) probably don't
      spend a moment's thought on how far the cow with a broken leg has to
      travel to be slaughtered. >>

In most areas, mobile butchers will come for the injured cow, killing her
right where she stands, so she doesn't have to ride ANYWHERE.  I think we
have two such services here.  That slaughter solution is NOT available for
horses in this country--although I was intrigued when Heather stated that
that was an option in some areas of Europe.

Heidi