Re: RC: Re: Horse slaughter

In a message dated 3/15/00 11:24:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
woa@stormnet.com writes:

<<Hi Duncan
I agree with what you say to a point. I do not believe I have the right
to judge others (although it is hard for me to refrain from such at
times); however, there IS a BIG difference between an animal whom you
 have kept in the field and has been treated dispassionately (cow) and an
 animal who has been treated as a friend, fed treats, given some
 decision-making power over their lives  >>

WHAT????  You mean it was morally wrong for my parents to insist that we
butcher and eat my bottle calves that I halterbroke, petted, "rode" out of
the barn on occasion, and spent sunny afternoons with?  When I was 13 or so,
I had four bottle calves that were so well trained that my sister used refer
to them as my "four-in-hand."  Or what about my pet rabbits that eventually
went in the stew pot?  Heck, some people even SHOW rabbits, cows, goats, etc.

Yes, I share the societal taboo about eating my horses. But that is EXACTLY
what it is--no more, no less.  Once again, the HORSE does not care if he
meets his end with a needle from the vet or with a captive bolt from the meat
man--the only atrocity is what goes on between sale and the meat man in this
supposedly enlightened country.  (See previous posts from both myself and
from Heather in France as to how much more sensibly this is handled
elsewhere.)  And the HORSE certainly does not care, once he is dead, whether
he is eaten or buried in your backyard.  That is a choice for the warm fuzzy
feeling for the PEOPLE, not for the horse.

Heidi