clipping

I used to body clip my horses in the spring to include the back and
girth area.  A few years ago I had one horse develop bumps on his back,
possibly from bug bites, but saddle pressure and sweat aggrevated them
every time I rode him.  We were not able to compete much that year and I
finally had them injected with a steroid and rested the saddle area for
6 weeks.  That finally kept the bumps from coming back.  Now I clip in
the spring and leave a saddlepad and girth of hair on the horse.  No
more problems.  However I never had any problems with any of the other
horses, but at that time I was not riding as much( read pleasure horse
stuff).  Louise Wv