Re: RC: Re: Joggers, R&T

In a message dated 03/14/2000 9:19:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
betndez@budget.net writes:

<< Sounds like you have a Ride & Tie horse.  My old RAT horse always tried to
 race joggers--he got VERY competitive and excited when we came upon a
 jogger. >>

Having done R&T, having family who has done R&T, and knowing lots of people
and horses who do R&T, I've observed it doesn't take long for a smart horse
to pick up on this. Also, one of our old R&T horses would whinny to either
myself or my husband when he saw us running on the trail approaching him. He
also picked out good tie spots for us, just about the right mileage between
ties. We were barely adequate runners and toward the end of a long R&T, we
would do ties about 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart. That was one smart horse!
I have also ridden with runners and my horse would compete with the runner,
get upset when the runner was out of sight, just as he would if that were a
horse ahead of him.

Barbara