Re: Horse Savaging (CONTROVERSIAL RESPONSE)

I have read about this horse--and agree wholeheartedly to get rid of him in a permanent fashion.   But (living in Texas)--my curiosity is piqued---what's with California laws that they are causing a problem here?
Claudia

----- Original Message -----
From: Lif Strand
To: cowgirl_30_98@yahoo.com ; Ridecamp
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 8:31 AM
Subject: RC: Horse Savaging (CONTROVERSIAL RESPONSE)

At 09:13 PM 3/13/00 -0800, Jen wrote:
He's a real nice riding horse, put together like a brick privvy and just about the smartest thing I've come across (too smart).

So how nice is he?  He's a gelding so can't pass his niceness or smartness on, so he has no value there.  As a riding horse I wouldn't say "nice" is quite the same qualifier as "excellent", "exceptional", "worth keeping him alive for", so there's not as much value there.  And as for his smartness... well, when you equate smartness with strategies to keep oneself alive, I'm not so sure this horse is so very smart after all.

The horse's problem could be emotional in which case I'd say that if you have a place with double fencing, with chain link and concertina wire, electric zappers etc. (in other words, a place that you might be able to keep a pack of rabid wolves in, for instance) then you would have the luxury to deal with those problems.

The horse's problem could be medical.  I guess you could have him tested for abnormal hormone levels - the only horse I know of personally that acted like that was a young stallion who was tested, found to have soaring levels of testosterone (I mean WAY high) and he was put down.  But what would the point be?  Is he worth the cost of hormone therapy (if there is even such a thing?)  Maybe he's got a tumor in his brain.  Is he worth brain surgery?

You see where I'm going with this:  The problem is that one time you have an accident.  I'd guess (not being an attorney or anything) that if the owner is an attorney (who probably the court system would say has no excuses), and if you are taking money for training (so you're a pro and have no excuses), since you both live in CA you are looking at a time bomb.  I'd get rid of that time bomb in a flash.

Personally - and go ahead, flame me all you want, Ridecampers - I may be a tree hugger but I  wouldn't hesitate to chop down a tree that was going to fall on my house.  If the tree was say that giant sequoia (what's it's name?  General Sherman?  General Grant?) with incalculable value, and it's roots were uprooting my house, well in that case I'd have to admit that that irreplaceable tree was worth more than my replaceable house - but this horse, even though he is a living being with intrinsic value in his soul, is a criminal and his life is not worth more than yours, the owner's or some innocent person who gets savaged by him.

So my solution would be to face reality, and shoot him in the head, with a butcher standing by to make him into dog food.  From experience I can tell you this is a hard thing to do (and hard, too, to find a butcher who will process horse meat) but it is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do.  When the safety of other people is in question, the RESPONSIBLE thing to do is always the right thing to do.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES   www.fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for health, horsemanship, the internet & your life
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * Web Design * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options