Re: RC: Re: progesterone implants for mares

At 12:53 AM 3/11/00 -0500, Sylvia wrote:
A good friend had her mare die during this procedure.

That's a good reminder, all.  Every "procedure" comes with a risk factor.  Maybe it's 99% safe, maybe only 50% safe, but even if it's safer than 99%, there's no such thing as 100% safety anywhere in life.  You always have to know what the risk factor is, and weigh that.

We sold a mare to someone who eventually had her palpated prior to breeding - normal procedure, low risk, by an experienced vet.  The mare was dead in 45 minutes (perferated rectum leading to peritonitis, she died in spite of the fact that she was gotten into a trailer & shipped off to Davis immediately).  NO ONE was at fault here, but we all tend to forget about those risk percentages, and the fact that one day it could be our own horse that fills out those statistics.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES   www.fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for health, horsemanship, the internet & your life
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * Web Design * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options