Re: Re: Re: Reply to Sarah's post

Hi Maggie
I am a big fan of beet pulp.  In UK its used a lot and with chaff is the
basis of many horses' diets.
When I came to France 15 years ago it was a bit like going back in time.  I
could get whole grains, nuts (don't know what you call them in the States
but not nuts like hazel nuts, obviously!) & that was it.
Managed to find beet pulp through my farmers' co-op after a false start with
a cattle feed which was 75% beet pulp.  I have introduced several of my
French friends to beet pulp & they all find it a really useful feed.
In UK the beet pulp comes in various forms, nuts shreds or whatever,
molassed or unmolassed.  In France it is unmolassed.  I like the molassed
for big rides as I have a horse who stops drinking when he leaves home but
he will drink the juice of molassed beet pulp.  Juice made from the
unmolassed stuff just looks like dish-water.  Probably tastes the same as
well!
The feed market in France has developed tremendously in the last 10 years.
There are various English feeds available now Spillers for one, and Baileys
who market the Buckeye feeds.  The sweet-mixes are expensive compared to UK.
There is a range of sweet-mixes made by a company called Dynavena & they are
probably the best, also the most expensive.  We use their stud mix & their
cereal balancer for the endurance horses.
I read Susan Garlinghouse's article on beet pulp & loved the squirrel story!
I've used oil for ages but its a pain having the bottles around & I find
that the Buckeye Equine Energy I can feed a little more pro rata than with
the oil & they still eat their feed.  So far results look good.
Heather