Re: looking for cheaper pastures

ÿþ<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=unicode" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2722.2800" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have lived in several states: ID, WA, CA, CO, KY and have been in TX since 82.&nbsp; Have visited HI, AK, Germany, Mexico, Taipai, Phillippine Is..&nbsp; But when it comes down to an affordable place where I can work at decent wage and the cost of living is decent, I stayed in East Texas after my divorce several years ago.&nbsp; After restarting with 2 kids, 2 horses, one old 2 horse trailer and no credit, I will have my 17 acres paid for next Jan and have worked up to a 4 horse stock trailer-- so more can go riding in the rolling hills around here---either a 30 minute drive to the lakes area or a 60 minute drive to another national forest.&nbsp; AND there are almost any types of horse activies one would want to do with a 2-3 hrs drive.&nbsp; I have not been showing Arabians, but those shows are a bit scarse for the nonpro riders.&nbsp; BUT endurance gives me more 'bang' for my buck and I dabble with dressage as time permits.&nbsp; I do NOT have much of a house... just can't have it all!!!&nbsp; now can we????&nbsp; But plan to build geodesic dome next year.&nbsp; I live in country so I can ride my horses so keeping up a house would just take away from riding time.&nbsp; ALSO, just do not want to wait for retirement.. I see TOO many end up in ill health and not able to do what they had been dreaming for all those years..&nbsp; We don't shovel snow, rarely have ice storms or have to carry water to frozen buckets... (did that in OK during Desert Storm).. there is long growing time with for grass.. HOWEVER,, the past few years the EL Nino, etc has upset things and given up drought.. used to never worry about watering plants.. usually had too much.. No we don't have breathtaking mountain peaks, but the Milky Way is often visible and the stars reflect themselves in the stock pond!!&nbsp;&nbsp; One just has to put down what you are willing to put up with for which trade offs.. Life is a trade off... Just write lists of what you are willing to accept.&nbsp;&nbsp; BTW, 6 years ago I got 15 acres of mostly cleared pasture for $1200/acre.. but there are also FANCY $250,000 places with pools etc, in the area.. We are 5 miles from the nearest very small town, 2.5 hrs from Houston, 20 miles from a town of 33,000.&nbsp; BUT there are drawnbacks.. the originaly settlers here do NOT like outsiders and make no bones about it.. It is less of a problem with more small industries moving in now.&nbsp; So make your list and check out what kind of jobs are available for you.. unless you are independly wealthy... and good luck and happy trails... Mary Ann</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>