Re: Re: Reply to Sarah's post

We aren't old pros but re: feeding fat to horses I now have about a little
over one year's experience using it with our horses.  I started feeding fat
because in our first year, my gelding was not holding weight well and we
also had a weanling and an older mare who seemed to need something extra.
We also started feeding beet pulp about the same time.  Last year we used
oil in their feed regularly...1-2 cups a day depending on the work load and
their condition.  I am one of those people who is constantly adjusting feed
for each horse...drives my husband crazy.  I feel that my horse performs
better than ever with fat in his diet.  I also supplement with Vitamin E
and Selenium.  I think he will be ready to try a 100 this year.  He has
more energy all through the ride and LOOKS better.  He did earn a BC at a
25 LD ride and at our last 50, had they awarded one, he would have been
reserve BC (in that his score was second only to the horse who did win BC).
 This year will be the real test as we have a little heavier ride schedule
this year (or at least our goal is geared to more rides and more miles) and
since he did well last year with this regimen, I don't intend to change
much, if anything.  I think fat has its merits if used appropriately (like
anything else).  I will definitely be reporting in this year to let
everyone know how we do...one thing I am thinking about adding is
chromium...am doing some more research and trying to find a base at which
to start so I can tell if it really helps or not.  I have an extra
glucometer so will probably conduct some minor league experiements of my
own.  Nice to have you with us on Ridecamp, Heather.  Glad you didn't get
blown away in those winds!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.