Re: Flinging pony final post

Angie,

Missed some of the previous post, so I may not be responding
intelligently, but the little I read of the conclusions I can't agree
with entirely. I raise Connemara ponies(who are known for their
excellent dispositions) but many of us feel that it is due somewhat to
the fact that they are bigger and trained more like horses--with MORE
consideration given to them than some other ponies.  Many times the
dispositions are there, but without  good training they can be  ruined.
Unfortunately, many times an adult hasn"t been able to train a child's
pony, and the child and the pony both need an education--unfortunaately
NOT from each other!-(-Because of their size and the fact that not as
much time is spent on them, they turn out to be little brats--the ponies
I a m speaking of  now)

I think the WORST thing that is done to ponies is to stick severe bits
in their mouths and then turn them over to children with uneducated
hands .  Both the child and the pon suffer, and neither learn anything
good!

The more you can treat them like horses, the more they will respond like
horses.  This is one time where I think a good trainer is necessary.
First--the child will listen much better to someone other than "mom" and
if the pony is too small for you to ride, there is often an older child
the trainer uses to train them under her supervision.I am not saying a
well deserved"whack" is out of line sometimes but they are smart little
beasts and know who is doing the "whacking".(  They also know you are
not the one riding them most of the time! )

They too deserve the careful training that is put into the horse that
adults ride.  If they receive this(and the child also receives some
training in how to handle them) there would be fewer problem ponies and
more safe rides for children.  Good luck with yours!

Maureen