Re: full recovery at vet checks?

>but then if we're talking about uptake from the hindgut, and we've
>developed those pathways during training, and we've been supplementing
>with salts/water/fiber/carbs during the extended work, haven't we taken
>care of that?

>not that I'd take away edibles from a hungry horse just because the ride
>was over, but I think we're just going around the same barn here again
>and again.

How important this is depends in part on how soon the horse is
competing again.  If you are campaigning a horse running for first
place week after week, you've got to replenish the lost energy
quickly.  Feeding large quantities of high-energy feeds in the day or
two after the ride is very effective and safe for most horses.  (Note:
always use care in any new or changed feeding program; all horses are
individuals)

When Kahlil was doing this I would routinely double his grain ration
for 48 hours following a ride.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net