Re: Riding with the dogs ;)

Being the consumate dog lover that I am...I'll toss two cents into the pot on this thread.... <clink, clink> I agree with you Dawna...those BC's have ENDLESS energy....sheesh...I'd like to harness that somehow!!!   I ride with my goldens and my aussie, two breeds well suited to the challenge ... they looove to go, but I never let them come when other horses are along.  It's not worth the risk.

Also, I cannot over-emphasize the *absolute necessity* to have a rock solid "recall" on your dog.  Heavens knows, my gang has "selective hearing" from time to time, but there have been numerous occasions when I had to get them back right away, i.e., meeting another dog or non-dog-friendly horse on the trail.  When I call them in, I've taught them essentially to heel alongside Sneaky and when we stop...they sit/stay.  It is also critical to bring a dog along *slowly* and work them up to the distance.  Know the signs of heat exhaustion/stress/stroke.  Another thing to consider, would your horse allow you to drape an injured dog across his withers should something happen?  Good ol "Murphy" will make sure whatever happens will be at the farthest point from the trailer/barn!  I would strongly suggest that puppies (under two years) be kept to VERY limited distance as the stress on their bones *could/might* cause problems later.

Keeping some of these things in mind, I think many breeds of dog would enjoy the adventure and taking them along is great!!!  I was never happier when riding Sneaky on the beach with the dogs romping along beside.  There really is heaven on earth!