Re: need info about breeds.

In a message dated 2/20/99 10:42:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<<
 From: Anne Perkins
 Email: aperkins@carroll.edu

 I fell in love with endurance riding last summer thus I am very new to the
sport.  I used my 9 year- old half Morgan, half Quater Horse mare in a multi-
day ride and was pulled on day two for a  "heart murmer".  I want to condition
a horse for this season, but after reading my endurance news for the past
several months it has become painfully obvious that I need an Arabian to be
competive in this sport. Painfull because I don't own one and my mare is
really nice!.  I need advice.  I have already decided to find a 5 to 6 year
old gelding that is ready to be conditioned for this season.  My question is "
Should I sell the mare to pay for a new horse, or hang on to her and breed her
to a fine Arabian stallion for a future endurance prospect. Would her heart
murmer problem be passed on to offspring? Could a cross breed such as this
work for endurance?  Does anyone out there have a gelding for sale that is
under $3000 that I could start this season? Although I am new to endurance, !
 I am an experienced horsewoman and have started several colts and trained
horses. I live in Helena, Montana and would appreciate opinions from
experienced endurance people.
 Thanks
 Anne Perkins

Anne,

I would keep your mare.  We raise Morabs and they make a wonderful endurance
horse.  My only concern would be the heart murmur.  Could it be genetic?  May
want to get some advice from some of the vets on ridecamp.

Phil