Cut on back of Apache's leg

First off...Thank you all for your suggestions.  Any others are still
greatly appreciated.

A lot of people mentioned scratches and suggested that might be what Apache
has.  I'm not really sure what that is, but I went looking on the net for
any info I could find.  I found somewhere that scratches is accompanied by a
foul smell.  That is not the case with Apache's leg. There is no odor at
all...foul or otherwise.  Does that rule out scratches?

I've started using a mixture of desitin and wonder dust on the cut twice a
day.  I'll do that for a week.  If I see no improvement, I'll probably try
something else.  I tried to wrap the area, but as soon as Apache walked off,
the bandage pulled up away from the cut, leaving it defenseless to the mud
and water.  Don't know what to do about that short of covering his hoof with
vet wrap and duct tape.  But unless I go under the hoof, it really won't do
any good and doing that would probably make him lose his footing.

Thanks again for the advice so far and any more is still very welcome.

April Lee
Chattanooga, TN
adlee@bigfoot.com