Water Question

We live on a 160 acre farm and have decided to put in
a iron out water softener to clean up our water.  The man
that is installing the unit suggested that we use 1/2 sodium
1/2  potassium in the unit.  He says that it will be beneficial
to the horses here.  Right now our water is very high in iron.
My question is will the Potassium be okay for the horses?

Thanks Julia
thomlabs@netbistro.com