Re: Wooley Boogers (clipping)

In a message dated 2/12/99 5:51:57 PM EST, rides2far@juno.com writes:

<<
  Do you have to shave your horse before racing if he is haired
 >up?  Or do you condition him accordingly??  Hope that is not too dumb
 >a question

I'd like to say that IMO, no question is "dumb".  Especially not this one, all
of us worry over this each year.  If you can get by without clipping, it's
better, I think.  But if you really think you should clip, do a partial clip.
Clip areas of the body that sweat the most and will be the most advantageous
to the horse, like the neck and chest area.  If you do a full clip, you must
be ready and able to blanket the rest of the winter as the weather dictates.
Once clipped, there's no turning back.
Leigh