good "trail dogs"

Since everyone else is on a dog kick (I'm not, oh no, not
me, I don't spend all day looking up different breeds of
dogs on the 'Net...) and this *is* endurance related, or
at least *conditioning* related -

I was pondering "the ideal trail dog". One day, when we
move up the hill and have space, I will get me a dog.
This "perfect dog" (yeah, right), when out conditioning
with me n' the horse, will not go rushing off into the
undergrowth and disappear, never to be seen again (followed
by the irritated cries of "you rotten dog, get back here
immediately!"); it will not chase the horses in their
paddock when they are trying to eat their suppers; it
will be able to go long distances without having its
legs drop off; it will protect me when I'm out conditioning
on my own and a weirdo jumps out (but won't be so protective
that it yomps innocent hikers); it will have a short coat so
that I won't have to spend the rest of the evening on our
return picking out burrs and ticks; it will not be neurotic
and act out on it's neurosis while I am away at work during
the day; and it will not try and eat my parrot.

I guess some where out there, this dog exists. And you own
it (or at least something similar).

So could everyone email me (not the list!!!) with their
"perfect trail dog" (and indeed "dogs you should never
consider as trail dogs because they are hopeless") and
I will compile a list and repost to RC (if there's any
interest).

Thanks!
--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Repotted english person in Sacramento, CA

with Mouse and Provo