Re: cross cantering

It sounds to me like one shoulder is lower than the other where the saddle
forks would rest.  Put a western saddle on her with only a blanket and light
pad.  Have someone walk her away in a straight line.  Have them be sure to
keep her head going straight ahead.  Stand so that you can see the saddle horn
clearly. (on top of something helps)  Watch the saddle horn tic toc side to
side.  It should tic toc evenly to each side.  My guess is that it will fall
more to one side than the other.  If it does then you will need to pad the low
spot.  A 4x4 or 4x6 inch pc. of closed cell foam works the best.  You can get
a roll of it at Kmart or Wal mart or Target etc. in the camping dept.  Be sure
to get the 1/2 inch thickness.  Place the pad at the horses low spot between
the saddle pad and the saddle.  The saddle should rest on your shim pad.  This
will balance the saddle into the middle of her back.  Thus the rider will be
in the middle of her back also.  Without filling in the hole the saddle falls
into the hole taking the rider with it.  This causes the mare to have to lift
the rider with her shoulder because the rider is riding into the hole in her
shoulder instead of on her back.  Chiropractics is included in the body work
that I do.  I dont use the ch... word that much because so many vet still
frown on it.  If you are in the so. cal  area and would like me to take a look
then give me a buzz on this thing and I will send  you my phone number.  good
luck    gesa