Re: Riding Downhill (Long)

I don't do the endurance thing (yet <G>) but do ride in a lot of rough
steep country.  There are always exceptions, but I find that in general
on steep slopes, particularly sandy or shaley slopes... the horse is
most comfortable and most balanced going straight down.  He can tuck his
butt under and then if he starts sliding, he's able to keep his feet
under him. He also can use the muscles of his hind end most effectively
to control his position and therefore balance.  It's most often more
difficult to maintain balance when perpendicular to the slope if the
horse loses his footing as there are no big muscle groups to stabilize
him laterally.

Quite frankly, my guys seem to actually enjoy sliding and take to it
quite quickly.  I introduce them to it by ponying off another horse.
They get the hang of it generally right away, then introducing a rider
to the equation isn't a real big deal.

A horse who is awkward on downhills is usually one who hasn't learned to
tuck his butt and hind-end underneath him.  For the person who
originally asked about this, I'd find good stable steep-country horse
and pony your horse off him in increasingly steep terrain until he
learns to tuck his butt and balance. You might even consider trying to
find steep sandy slopes that actually force the horse to slide (when he
is ready) as that is an excellent reinforcer. I have occasionally ridden
horses (not my own) who simply don't know how to do this and it's a very
uncomfortable unstable feeling for me.... and I'm sure for the horse as
well.

--
Kirsten Price
Vermilion Desert Ranch