Re: Riding Downhill (Long)

>displacement, states, "In going down, rider is still flexed forward but all
>weight is in the heels.  Now there must be firm contact with the mouth of

If I did that I'd get catapulted forward over the top of my horses head!  I
try to ride downhill in such a way as to not interfere with my horses way
of going.  There are so many variables that I would find it difficult to
tell anybody "always do it this way".

>him if necessary.  Obviously the descent should be made as straight as
>possible.  Coming down a steep slide with the horse at an angle is
>dangerous.

Why is that any more dangerous than going straight down a steep slide?
Sometimes the footing and terrain warrant you doing things differently than
the experts would tell you how to.  I have no problem letting my horses
"tack" back and forth to get down really steep stuff - as long as that is
the best choice of footing and what the conditions warrant.  My horses know
enough to know what they are doing now that I rarely interfere - if I do
I'm asking for trouble.  Done a lot of trotting downhill and have never had
one lose balance or fall so I can't be doing everything completely wrong.
(or maybe I am, but we're having fun so who cares)....

 I find that green riders readily accept the need of going
>forward in the ascent but are invariably amazed to be told to do the same in
>the steep descent.  They assume that one should lean far back going down,
>which is, as a matter of fact, the worst thing one can do.

Yeah do this trotting full speed and see what happens.  You do wear a
helmet, don't ya? <G>

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV