Re: RC: Re: Re: Walk the walk

In a message dated 12/29/1999 12:08:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Howard4567@aol.com writes:

<<

 Oh, but it will.  They might consider that maybe some riders actually know a
 little about their horse, that standing in a long line at a vet check might
 be the cause of the horse not "springing" out of the gate during a trot out
 causing you and your horse to get pulled due to lameness, that it can be
 dangerous as hell standing in that line with a whacko horse in front of your
 face who should have a red ribbon on the tail.  That driving a thousand
miles
 to ride a horse 25 may cause one to become a bit irritable and actually have
 the nerve to discuss the criteria if the vet decides to pull your horse at
 the first vet check.

 I can go on and on here, but if I know a vet is also a vet that rides,
he/she
 will be the one I go to.  Please flame me here, it's getting cold in my
house
 and I could use the heat.

 cya,
 Howard

Howard,

Your statements are conditions of our or sport.  And our sport is structured
as most are.  Without our Vets we have no structured sport.  As a ride
manager I have found it sometimes extremely difficult to obtain Vets for our
ride.  Last year we had a total of six vets at our ride that I know of.  Four
chose to ride and one of the two that vetted the ride had never vetted an
endurance ride.  Our Vets don't make a whole lot of money and some do it for
free.  At the Biltmore Spring Ride there were a large number of pulls because
of lameness.  I don't remember anyone questioning the Vets.  In fact I went
to different vets at vet ins and all three noted a mild lameness in my wife's
horse without it being brought to their attention.  I never saw it and our
trainer never saw it and we completed the race.  After we got home we did
notice a hitch in the right front.  We were able to massage it out with some
rest.  The point I guess I'm trying to make is that these Vets are
professionals and yes some may be better than others but they still made the
TEAM.  That's good enough for me.

Phil
Spirit of the Mountain Farms