Re: RC: Re: Re: Walk the walk

In a message dated 12/29/99 9:08:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Howard4567@aol.com writes:

<< Oh, but it will.  They might consider that maybe some riders actually know
 little about their horse, that standing in a long line at a vet check might
 be the cause of the horse not "springing" out of the gate during a trot out
 causing you and your horse to get pulled due to lameness, that it can be
 dangerous as hell standing in that line with a whacko horse in front of your
 face who should have a red ribbon on the tail.  That driving a thousand
miles
 to ride a horse 25 may cause one to become a bit irritable and actually have
 the nerve to discuss the criteria if the vet decides to pull your horse at
 the first vet check. >>

Howard, I am a riding vet, and yes, riding does help to drive those points
home.  However, quality of vetting still depends on factors such as
curiosity, ego, etc.--I've seen riding vets who STILL assume that even though
they ride, their DVM degree is nonetheless the ticket to all knowledge, and
I've also seen MANY vets who do not ride who have figured out all those
things you mention, simply because they are reasonable, curious, intelligent
people who recognize knowledge where they find it.  In my experience, the
vast majority of our vets have been pretty good whether they ride or not, and
the few bad apples stand out as nightmares.  The fact that the bad ones DO
stand out sure illustrates that most are doing a good job.

I think it is great to encourage vets to ride, but let's face it--if all the
good ones decide to become competitors, where does THAT leave you?

Heidi