RE: Tying up

Barbara writes:

I have a 3/4 Arab mare who has tied up several times.  I tried feeding MSM, I
tried eliminating alfalfa hay, but the conclusion I have come to with this
particular mare is:

1)  She's female, thus predisposing her to tie-up more than if she were male.

[Karen Sullivan]  Yes, this was suggested to me by Dr. Ridgeway several years ago.  He said to watch episodes of tie-up and the heat cycle

 (Comments on this theory are welcome).
2)  She hasn't tied up on a ride if I follow two practices religiously:
First, keep her in a paddock or pasture, so that she can move around a lot.
When she's kept in a small run, I can just about count on a tie-up.  And
second, make certain she is THOROUGHLY warmed up before she goes into her
fast working trot or climbs a hill of any size.

[Karen Sullivan]  Yep, and I find the combination of reduced space and still trying to "feed-up" a thin horse is a great scenario for creating a tie-up.

Her diet consists of half alfalfa hay and half oat hay, nothing else.  I
don't compete regularly, but she can tie-up on just a rountine conditioning
or brisk pleasure ride if I don't follow the two steps above.

[Karen Sullivan]
Yep, reduce alfalfa hay with the one mare I have.  Mine tied-up at Wine
Country several years ago......mistakes I made.  Wasn't able to ride the trail the afternoon before (I usually do at least an hour warmup) because we had to replace a shoe.    Not enough warm up the morning of the ride-tried at the start but while everyone was walking, my nervous mare was cantering and prancing sideways, very tense.  I SHOULD have gotten off and insisted she walk......then very long steep hill.

I would be interested in input from any source, but please --- not too
technical.  I deal better with the simplest explanation possible.  Chemistry
was never my best subject.

[Karen Sullivan]  After some treatment at the ridecamp, I elected to take her on over to Davis.  She was kept on IV, and monitored throughout the night.  Bloodwork showed tie-up, but because we caught it so early and started treatment, vet didn't think there would be any permanent damage.  they also reccomended supplementing with Vit.E and Se, which I do the week before an "event."  Davis didn't test for
se levels, which surprised me, I need to have that done sometime.

I feed a mix of grass/alfalfa, oat and grass hay, plus whatever annual grasses and weeds my pasture grows.  I ALWAYS have hay out there for the horses, and supplement accordingly with beetpulp, complete pellets, dry cob and veg. oil.  I never buy or feed sweet feed.

Karen

To me, the description of Roberta's horse sounds like a tie-up-indications  are trembling and heavy sweating (especially sweat that breaks out and rolls down the face), of course reluctance to move out.
Barbara

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-