Re: RC: Reply from an educated derelict

In a message dated 12/27/99 11:43:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dleblanc@mindspring.com writes:

<< There's no need to save the world from you, but if you keep throwing
 molotovs all over the list and starting flamewars left and right, then
 there might be a need to save the list from you.  You're a writer (and from
 your reviews, a good one), and know exactly what you're doing with your
 words.  Please try to refrain from being inflammatory.  It really doesn't
 help in terms of getting people to listen, or even reply in a civil manner.
  This list is a useful resource to a lot of people, and when lots of them
 are running around PO'd, it becomes less useful. >>

I'm sorry, I will retain my policy of responding in kind when personally
attacked. If you will examine the history of these discussion, you will find
me responding to, not instigating, personal attacks.

Meanwhile, I'm not overly concerned to have people listen to me. What I'm
after is an exchange of good information--so that I benefit. I'm not a
preacher. I have no agenda. I just want to throw up ideas and learn about
them, and other ideas, as quickly and as efficiently as possible, without
waiting for decades for new ideas to arise out of the murk of academia. The
fact that my ideas offend some, in and of themselves, is too bad, but not a
concern of mine at all. And if those who wish to attack my ideas by attacking
me personally, then let them have at it--been there, done that enough times
that it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Not even good sport in many cases.

Still, I will defend against personal attacks in kind. I'd prefer to deal
with ideas and solid thought, but I have absolutely no fear of a good
fistfight.

ti