Re: RC: periodization

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> Yes. Anyone care to begin a discussion of "periodization" in training?

hehe, Tom, you really want to battle again?

I estimate there are at least 3 schools of thought in Endurance riding
folks, as far as periodization is concerned:
a) keep the work on a very regular, daily basis with no special need for
rest periods within the conditioning phase. Often connected with young
horses and basic schooling and conditioning.
b) 2-4 training rides per week with 1-2 rest days after strenous workouts.
Often connected with longer worksouts (20 miles+).
c) periodization means complete days-off between comepetitions every two or
three weeks -- or finding the right horse or bloodline is more important
than overall training, therefore periodization is no matter to worry about..
;-)

It will be hard to prove which way is the most successfull one. I tend to
way b) when dealing with saisoned horses and principally agree with your
ideas of periodization as you pointed out in TrailBlazer, Jul/Aug last year.

Firstly, I "periodize" on a yearly basis, in consideration to environmental
factors (rain, ice, snow, lack of green grass). But even in winter we do
some real work, at least in good weather or on fine snow. Some other people
real make the winter a "off"-time, an attitude which is hard for me to
understand if the horse is sound and not overworked from last saison. On the
other hand, in the last years, I didn't perform any peak-training in summer,
when our hottest weather is (-90°F but usually dry) and the most rides are.
I like to have the horse fit for 50-milers, top-five condition, in a more
consistent form. To keep the form on hot weather will take some additional
effort in Jul-Aug. (sorry I didn't ride any 100's yet - you can count
100-mile-rider each year with your both hands in Germany...)
If there is a race on the schedule I also taper the last week before the
race. With Ligeira I use a special trail on Tuesday dedicated as a
"before-race-ride" to let her know. BTW, who knows an expression that gives
"taper" a sports-physiology-sense in German language?
I select the competitions I go very rigorously, especially for good footing,
and conditions that allow me to ride my horses pace. That leads to a limited
number of competitions I ride per year (and usually, knowing in advance the
speed to go - if everything goes well). What you call "No surprises!", or
Joe Long in a early statement "I train what I intend to do on competition"
is a basic thought in my training  regimen. I often watched riders beeing
very rash in that point, even successfull that way (at least for a year or
two). Now for me I assume they may have tougher horses than I have...
So these 25-30-miles-Saturday or Sunday-morning-rides (in my rough
home-terrain and a demanding sort of Fartlek style - whereas in competition
I ride as regular and power-saving as possible) are the most important part
of my training regimen. On the following day there is a "rest day" (free day
on big pasture or less demanding/ shorter ride). Ocassionally two or
(seldom) three or four such rides grouped together but with care. On
Monday-Friday I try to do 1-2 rides of 2-2 1/2 hours. If the mares go fit,
they begin try to race on the shorter rides (1- 1/2 hours) and it's going to
be uncomfortable.
The result is they normally need no longer rest periods after a competition,
or to a minimal extend. My aim is, within 2-3 days rest after a competition
have the horse fully recovered. This short time for replenishment of used
energy (glycogen and others) is to some part unavoidable, because I do not
ride 8 hours in training (or, when, then in a slowly way). Longer rest
periods seems unwelcome to me because it means that, to some extend, damage
has took place, with a risk that they stay permanent.
I reached this goal often, as far I can judge it, in terms of blood or other
detailed exam, overall impression, or behaviour. I often ride and pony my
mares on a changing basis. If after a Saturdays hard race, on Tuesday on the
leadline she is smashing her head and pulling my arms out off the sockets,
this appeared to be a good sign to me.

regards
Frank Mechelhoff
Schmitten, Germany
- & the Taunus mountain ponies (Ligeira and Natajy) -