Re: carbos, etc.

I can tell you that all the carbo loading
> in the world does absolutely no good if you are not well trained, well
> hydrated and well RESTED. I'm certain the same applies to our horses.I
> learned the hard way that rest is probably the most important part of a
> training program and it seems to me that it is a sadly overlooked
> component, particularly where our horses are concerned.

Hi Adrienne
I think this is a good point.  When I first started in endurance, actually
not so long ago but it seems a while now, I had long discussions with my
sister who was at the time a marathon canoeist as there some interesting
common ground between our disciplines.
At the time I worried constantly that my horses weren't fit enough & that
they didn't do enough work.  She was always telling me to back off, telling
me that the improvement in fitness took place during the rest periods.  Its
logical when you think about it.
Now I worry less & the horses are better for it!
I am sure that carbo-loaders are useful as a booster & just that.  I also
wonder if products like this don't give a horse a false sense of well-being
(this isn't at all scientific & I will doubtless get flamed).  Given that
many endurance horses are already great "givers" wouldn't this be a dubious
combination?
If a first season horse needs carbo-loaders on a 25-mile ride what is he
going to need when he tackles his first 100-miler?
This is perhaps a frustrating aspect of endurance, the prep can't be rushed
if the horse is going to last the course.
Heather Hamper
Aquitaine Arabians
SW France