Re: RC: RC: Reply from an educated derelict

At 02:45 PM 12/26/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>   When I hear people wondering if they should try it, and when I wonder
>if *I* should try it, I'm thinking, "Will this make me faster?"  My horse

That's where I think differently.  I think along the lines of "will that
help my horse come thru the ride in better shape".  I'm not so interested
in one ride as I am a whole season, or at the very least - the next ride so
I need my horses to finish each ride in good enough condition because they
may very well be competing in another event in another week or two.  Most
of the time I like to give plenty of rest and think that is really the
secret.  We both want our horses to finish in good shape, you just want to
be faster on a more regular basis - nothing wrong with that, and IMO,
supplementing CC to Kaboot at this point in his career might prove really
beneficial.  You won't know till you try it.

>is doing fine on feed at his present level...but "will this help me go
>faster?".  Maybe I missed the point, but when people suggested it's "the
>direction the sport is going" I thought they were referring to the fast
>100's for high stakes, not keeping horses going day after day on
>multi-days.

I'm thinking along the lines that most of the people on ridecamp are more
like me, and want to learn what products might help their horses.  Not to
go faster, but to do the job with less stress and come out looking better
when all is said and done.  Not very many people are doing the hi-stakes
100's.  I'll bet you over 100 riders will start the Death Valley Encounter
on Tuesday though.  Granted, in my region we do get a lot of riders in the
100's (we only had 4 100's last season) but most regions it is considerably
less.  You've got a lot more people doing multidays every year, and look at
the National Mileage standings.  I did 1,335 miles on one horse and only
ranked 6th place.  It wasn't that long ago the National Mileage Champion
could do 1,000 miles (minus the Trilby/Less trailer race).  Some might want
you to believe that the trend is toward racing, but the sport seems to be
attracting an awful lot of people who like to just ride, really ride......

>of using c-c is to go faster.  He suggests that the level we're training
>and competing at now is actually a walk in the park and the *real*
>competition hasn't even showed up yet...

Yes, and he also wants to change our motto and says that if you don't win
every time you are a loser.  ;^)

>There's so much room for us to learn, but we can't learn from each other
>if we stifle discussion.  Maybe people used to not post that they are
>using carbos for fear of being flamed, but right now it seems the
>pendulum has swung the other way, it's making me cringe to post that I
>don't.

But I'm sure you feed your horse grain -sweet feed, right?  Same net result.

k (back to packing.......)

P.S.  junk food :)