Re: RC: RC: Reply from an educated derelict

At 01:21 PM 12/26/1999 -0500, Rides 2 Far wrote:
>I'm sure some people got something from ti's debate, but to me he's
>talking a lot about "what goes on in the lab" but I don't get nearly
>enough practical examples of how it works out in competition.  I hear
>people talk  about how much it helps in competition, but checking some of
>their records, I'm going faster than some of them are on plain ol'
>sweetfeed and hay.

Angie:  Wait a minute!!!  I wanna know whose records you've checked?  I
haven't noticed anybody besides myself and Roger posting about using CC
during competition.....what others have posted?  (I may have been
unsubscribed - at a ride you know......)

I would like to interject that the benefits I've felt the CC has given my
horses the most have not come when we are running in the front!  And I have
done that too - 3 wins this season, and several other top tens.  So I don't
always go 7 mph, just more often than not because my goal is to complete
miles.

I'm in the middle of packing, so don't have long.  Though I have been
putting off going outside to do the rig-hook-up until it gets up to or over
30 degrees <G> (wimp).  I'm going to (hopefully) be riding 200 miles next
week at Death Valley :).

I feel that the CC is most beneficial to a multiday horse, or probably a
100 mile horse.  The way I figure it is, if my horse is doing a more
difficult multiday where he is out on the trail for 10+ (or maybe 12) hours
a day he isn't going to get a lot of time to eat between each days ride,
say it's a 5 day event.  When he comes into the checks or the finish, he'll
generally go for the hay.  Maybe some beet pulp, a little mash with some
cob in it but he's not going to stick his nose in the grain (and if he did
I'd be worried).  So giving him the CC as a supplement on top of it is just
helping him out.  On the other hand, if he's doing the ride in say 7 hours
ride time instead that will give him more time to eat, but then the CC is
beneficial because along the way he's used more energy by going faster.

Most of the people I know that have used or are using CC don't post to
RC.  Some don't want to get flamed, others don't want to share the info and
others don't have a computer.  I do think that most of the people using it
with good results are not racers, and are people who ride a lot of mileage,
or 100's successfully.  I could really care less what anybody else is doing
with their horses.  I have, and will continue to do what I feel is in the
best interest of my horses so that they remain healthy and sound.

btw, if a horse is going to boink during a ride, they'll do it with or
without the carbo charge.  Using CC won't allow you to ride a horse beyond
it's capabilities - most people that have problems have used it improperly
and then they conveniently have something to blame, rather than their own
stupidity.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV