Re: Endurance Bloodlines

Happy Holidays Maggie
I wish more people who have Egyptians had your philosophy. Most of the
people who have Egyptians never even break them to ride (I've heard some
amazingly depressing statistics about that)---they become halter
statues. What a shame as the breeding has so many strengths, including
the speed gene. Because the foundation sire and mare were brother and
sister, the legs can be a problem from what I've read and heard; as
you've said, line breeding brings out the best and the worst. It's truly
a crap shoot; however if they are out crossed properly you can get both
beauty and athletic ability. Let's face it, all the Arabian breeding
programs as well as the thoroughbred programs have their roots in the
Egyptian breeding program---and they didn't do so badly for their Arab
masters. How many other horse breeds could sleep in a tent with their
owners or travel for days and weeks on virtually nothing? Heart,
temperament, physical endurance---we have it all in our Arabians.
Merry Christmas
Bette