Re: RC: Blood glucose after Carbo charge

In a message dated 12/21/99 6:23:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< ti wrote:
  In actual practice, the duration of the glucose curve
 using carbocharge or grain is the same. Both peak at two hours. Bot apprach
 100 at 4 hours. Both experience a little bump upwards at 4 hours, then
settle
 to fasted levels at 6 hours.

 How much grain were you comparing this to? In our horses that are sedentary
 and therefore not
 experiencing increased glucose utilization, 2 to 3 lbs of concentrate (and
 I have tested sweet
 feeds, pellets and extruded feed in a wide variety of horses) are usually
 back to or near
 fasting levels by 4 hours.

Yes, but did you see the little bounce at about 4 hours? We counted the
bounce as available glucose and kept testeing until the glucose flattened--5
to 6 hours after a normal breakfast( about 4 lbs of sweet feed).

>In Laurie Lawrence and Skip Hintz's's work in
 exercising horses
  fed corn before exercise blood glucose was below normal after 3200 meters
 in the horses
 fed 1 and 2 kg corn, with the horses fed 3 kg at least not dropping below
 normal but still
 dropping precipitously (the fasted horses blood glucose stayed steady
 throughout). >

Did they say which were the best performers? And how low did the glucose go?
A dropping glucose is normal--it's moving into the muscle cells for fuel. If
you get way low, you're in trouble, of course. The Stull/Jackson studies
showed a drop, but not a critical one.

>I find it
 extremely hard to believe that 4 ounces of a complex carbohydrate would
 result in elevations in blood glucose over 100 for 4 hours-and, if this is
 true,
 why do you find that you have to repeat the doses every two hours or less?>

First, I'm not asking you to believe anything. You either know or you don't
know. Nor did I say that 4 ounces of a carbohydarte, complex or not, would
result in >100 glucose for 4 hours in an exercising horse. My answer was in
response to your concerns that a faster acting carb source like CC would
demonstrate a different glucose profitle than a complex source like grain.

Why feed every two hours? Because that's what works. Why does that protocol
work? My guess is that a  4 oz  boost is used up in 2 hours.

 >Remember
 that normal blood glucose in horses is only 60-90 mg%, lower than normal
 humans.

 Sarah

We're using mmol/dl--how does that translate?

ti