Re: RC: Cavalry Riding

While not having done the OD cavalry, it is on my list - if not this year then the next.  I have done many rides crewless (and a few clueless also <g>) and it's not that big a deal.
The only essentials are electrolytes for the horse and some chocolate for the rider.  You can always pick up water from management or someone else's crew.  Except for maybe some
desert rides you can find food for the horse.  Did you know that horses actually love the fresh tender shoots of palmettos and cabbage palms.  I didn't until I watched my mare eat
her way down the trail and finish quite well a on a diet of this stuff.

Crews are more than willing to help crewless riders.  At one ride (the old LBL ride) where I was riding crewless most of the ride, I came out after doing the dreaded "power lines"
and must have looked pretty beat.  This guy in a pick up stops me, get out gives the horse a bucket of water and me a coke and candy bar.  All unasked for.  He smiled and went on.
Didn't even get his name but I sure thanked him later. At that ride every time we came out of the woods to cross a dirt road, there was someone sticking a bucket in the horse's face
and water in my hand.

Also somehow after you finish a ride crewless, you sense of accomplishment seems greater than when finishing it with the 5th Army supporting you.  You also feel much more in tune
with your partner.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com