Riding Solo

k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net
To answer Angie's questions.

No, the AERC does not have any rules defining riding solo.
It is up to the individual ride manager to define it for any
particular ride.

Her other questions, I cannot answer, because I have never been to a ride that has had such a division.  Out here in the South
west, it is pretty much just not done. If there are any rides
that I haven't gone to that have had the division, I haven't
heard of them.  I would say that close to half the people at
any ride (gets to be more than half at multi-days)are riding
without a crew.

And maybe the lack of such a division out here has to do with
the fact that virtually no rides have any natural forage for
horses (although I have a number of horses that will scarf any
thing)...and many areas actually prohibit people from grazing
their horses on the existing fauna (although, that doesn't keep
my horses from snatching at creosote bushes as they go by).

If, on the other hand, Angie would like to know about riding
without a crew (about 90% of my rides--including the first
one I did and the last one I did)...I have gotten quite good
at the following things:

a)  Taking what I may need with me on the trail
b)  Sending a "vet check bag" with what I may need but can't
carry.
c)  Scavenging
d)  Bumming
e)  Doing without