Re: RC: Re: body fat and performance

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> I agree that there is a large variance in individuals.  They come with
> different body types, different genetic packages for different metabolic
> qualities, etc.  Some naturally have a leaner body type.  Some naturally
> convert calories to useable energy better than others.  Some regulate water,
> electrolytes, and other variables better than others.
>
> I disagree that the higher body score horses are just greedy and don't know
> when to stop eating.

Heidi, it's not my point to run them down. As far as performance is concerned,
both types have their specific advantages. My lean mare never had any problems
with heat, muscular stiffness, tying-up and stuff like that. If hungry, she eats
and tolerates everything, even meat. this type has their advantage, too.

I understand your argumentation from a practical horseman's, breeders, or horse
buyer's point of view: go with the solide ones. they are less difficult in daily
business. better chances for no hidden failures. can be kept in a larger group.
fight for their right. thrive on a meagre sole. From a rational point of view, I
agree 100% with these argument.

As far as I know, there is a more unified type of endurance horse widely used
-and successfull - in USA, in comparison to Europe. An unavoidable sign of a well
developing, hard competitive sports discipline. But with these horses who fit not
the standard, it should not go so far to dispute their place in sports, or even
right to exist. Are we, as humans, ready to subordinate ourself under these type
of requirements some ask for their horses ? Mostly not. With some right, many
people would call that inhuman, exaggerated hardiness, or rassism. And with
asking for a 5,5-body score you start that way.

My way is to go with the individual. And play in that sport, and that league,
where it belongs to. Making the best of what you have, allways try to improve,
and thus, never stop thinking. The prove is success and a long sound life.

kind regards

Frank
- goes further on the one-rat-experiments-way. try to see the whole, and look for
the detail...