Re: RC: Re: body fat and performance

In a message dated 12/18/99 4:59:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fmechelh@c-s-k.de writes:

<< this is becoming more and more blurred here. One step further is saying
that Body
 score 5+ means overall soundness and <5 means chronic desease, one or
another.
 I think, the equine individuals and their eating behaviour are a little bit
 different, as with humans. Would you say from a human, eating all day and
with a
 tendency becoming fat and lazy, that this will be a sign of good overall
 soundness, and performing well in endurance events, and a thin and nervous
 individual will not?

 I think there a such and such types of horses, as with humans. It's very
clear
 that a body score 5-type horse with some more reserves will help come
through an
 extreme (calory-consuming) type of event like the Tevis Cup 100 mile, in
 comparison to a body score 4-type. But if you own of these
energetic-lean-one,
 who kept this form year after year, there isn't much you can do about. feed
them
 hay ad.lib., they know when stop eating. The greedy ones never stop. >>

Frank, the body score studies indicate tendencies, not absolutes.  The
incidence of most things can be illustrated by a bell curve of some sort--and
that is true with the body score study, too.  There is a range of body
scores, near the middle, that is more apt to finish.  As one approaches one
extreme of the bell curve, one is more apt to fail metabolically.  As one
approaches the other, one is more apt to fail by lameness.  Susan's actual
numbers were generated on rugged, mountainous terrain, at the Tevis, as we
pretty much all know.  Where that bell curve lies may shift in different
circumstances (and I think you are right that it does), but 25 years of real
life experience leads me to believe that the basic principle is still valid.
I hope someone investigates the same thing sometime on other rides besides
Tevis--and not just the old one-rat "my horse did such-and-such."

I agree that there is a large variance in individuals.  They come with
different body types, different genetic packages for different metabolic
qualities, etc.  Some naturally have a leaner body type.  Some naturally
convert calories to useable energy better than others.  Some regulate water,
electrolytes, and other variables better than others.

I disagree that the higher body score horses are just greedy and don't know
when to stop eating.  Many of them WILL consume more than many of the lower
body score horses.  (Again, it depends on why the horse falls into the lower
body score category.)  As a breeder, I purposefully select for horses that
naturally tend to have higher body scores.  For the past 5 years, most of my
horses have lived in a free-feed situation, with quality hay available 24
hours a day, 7 days a week.  None are skinny, for sure.  But--none are
particularly fat, either!  And interestingly enough--the overall weight of
hay that I feed, calculated for the number of horses, runs about 5% LESS than
when I meal-feed.  I personally think the difference is from less wastage
rather than less consumption, but the point is--yes, they DO know when to
stop eating.  And on an average, they consume about 10# LESS daily than do
their relatives that we actively endurance ride.  (And sometimes those on
free feed are ones who we've ridden in previous years, too--and they also
tailor their consumption back to a level that keeps them only about one body
score above where we would want them for endurance, even while they are
sedentary.)

Also, I don't think it is accurate to portray a human that eats all day as
being fat and lazy--I know folks who eat considerably more than I do, some of
which are active athletes and some of which are not, who stay thin.  I
struggle with my weight, despite trying to eat less and staying active.  I'd
be a prime critter if I were a beef cow--rate of gain (calculated per amount
eaten) is a prized trait there.  In beef cattle, the amount of weight gained
per the amount of feed eaten can vary as much as 3 to 4 times, and the
capability to convert feed to meat is a heritable trait.  The conversion of
feed to useable energy is more difficult to measure, but 25 years of real
life experience with endurance horses tells me that it also varies
considerably from individual to individual.  Observation of pedigrees of
successes and failures for 25 years also leads me to believe that that
ability (as well as other metabolic abilities) tends to run in family lines.
No surprise there--the Thoroughbred people have elevated the art of
predicting athletic ability by pedigree to almost a science, although
families also represent bell curves, so bloodlines represent a set of
possibilities, not a finite recipe for success.

Your observation of differences between individual horses, though, is right
on--and also you are correct, in my experience, to say that different types
of individuals will do better at different types of endurance events.

Heidi