RE: "losers?"

It is possible to enjoy a ride, finish with a happy
horse, appreciate the surroundings, and also win.

It is also possible to finish last, not remember the
view because you were worried about your horse, and
finish with a 'barely made it' horse.

Over-riding can happen to any horse, at any level,
at any speed. I have had many wonderful rides at the
end of the pack, enjoying the scenery - but the
greatest kick of all was a ride in Montana, enjoying
every mile of incredible scenery, racing up front with
with some great folks, and finishing the 100 mile ride/race
with a horse that felt like he could have gone on and
raced another 50.

Please don't assume that those who ride up front, or
are always interested in improving their performance,
see nothing but the finish line, or will gladly
over-ride their horse for a win. Most of the top
riders I know work very very hard at training and
conditioning, and their horses are well prepared
for the task. And you will see them chatting along
the trail and enjoying the scenery as often as not.
What you may not see is the 'wheels turning' while
they are constantly adjusting their ride to accomodate
the horses progress and attitude, the competition,
the temperature, etc.

Tom's references to improving speed and performance
at competitions does not necessarily imply over-riding
and horse abuse.

Steph

>>I'd rather come last, enjoy the ride, finish with a happy
horse, and appreciate the surroundings, than win a ride and
not accomplish any of the above.