Re: Re: Dogs

On our farm in Missouri, it was a common practice by not only us but all our
neighbors that stray dogs would be shot much past the first time on the
property if they appeared to do anything questionable.  First, you have to
worry about them running the livestock through your fences.  (potentially
maiming or killing your livestock, not to mention the time and expense of
repairing fences.)  Second, you never knew what diseases or other 'things'
they might be carrying.  (a concern for all livestock, but especially young
ones).  Third, if you have children, there's the concern for rabies.
  For some reason, people assume when you have a farm that all unwanted,
ill, or just stray animals of any kind will find a welcome home with you.
This might be true if it only happened once every year or so.
Unfortunately, it happens much more than I care to recount.
   In our case, when you live out in the country as we did, there is no
animal control, as we were out of the 'city limits'.  They wouldn't even
take the animal at the local pound.  We were forced to take the situation
into our own hands...

    --Kim