Dogs

You Wrote:
I post this message as a friendly reminder to responsible dog owners. I
have
just come in from seeing my neighbor shoot two dogs that were dumped here
about a month ago. Right after they were dumped the female had a litter of
puppies in a thickly wood area. The dogs had attacked one of his newborn
calves... again. I will never understand why people dump dogs, all I can
guess is they think they will find another home. I have seen an unumberable
dogs dumped out here only to be hit by cars or starved to death but most
are
shot.

Another good thing for dog owners to remember is that you dogs are safer
kept
tied or in pens. In my neigherborhood I am the only one who has a pen for
my
dog, everyone lets their dogs run loose and over the years they have done
so
much damage. As many of you know these dogs pose a threat to those on horse
back (not to mention kids on bikes). A couple of days ago I fell off my
horse
because a Great Dane decided we look like lunch. I have been riding for
almost 30 years now and the one constant problem I encounter time and time
again are dogs who turned a pleasant ride into a not so pleasant encounter.
Of course not all dogs are problems but there are pleanty who are.

Maria

Just to add to all the posts about tying up and penning your dogs. We own
15 (yes fisteen) dogs ranching from maltese poodles to a greatdane x
mastiff. Our property is fenced with a 5 strand barbed wire fence
(definately not able to keep a dog in if it wants to get out) granted our
dogs are horse friendly but some are attack trained and we never have them
in the street. I beleive if your dogs are loved and well cared for they
will not WANT to stray just like your kids wont run away for the same
reasons!!!! So tying up or penning is not the only solution but people need
to learn to take better care of their animals too!

Celeste (from South Africa)
Chad (thought I beter mention the 1 child first this time :-)), 15 dogs, 5
cats, fourteen horses and 1 turkey (thank goodness they don't celebrate
thanksgiving here or I'd be in trouble!)
Mawlud (I hate dogs who poop in my stable!)
Shadixx (being a stallion I think I need to do something to even the horse
dog ratio!)