Re: RC: Re: one of your type discussions on ridecamp now

In a message dated 12/16/99 11:36:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers writes:

<< You're incorrect. Again, it's a targeted supplemtation, not a complete
diet workover. what you're doing is trying to make it appear to be some wild
scheme that will turn a horse into a pillar of salt.  >>

Well, gol-lee, and here you've been saying that the VFA's are worthless, that
your carbs will replace them, etc.  And here all along you really ARE
intending it to be a supplement.  Why didn't you just fess up to that in the
first place?

<<Ma'am, I read more science in a day than you read in a year. Again, if you
want a cite war, I'm ready. Not much fun for Ridecamp readers, though. I'm
happy that you are finally understanding the word "supplement", though. Major
step in the right direction.>>

You're right.  <g>  You have lots more time to "read" the science than I do.
I just have to deal with real, live horses.  And that's where the real action
is, Tom.  But it's funny that others who read as much as you do, and in fact,
do more than read--they actually take part in the research and help to
GENERATE that science that you are so fond of citing, have also frequented
these boards on numerous occasions to cite those references for you, and to
point out the errors in your reasoning.  As I've stated before--the archives
are full of those references--help yourself.

<<Roughage has its place, in all mammals. However, it's not something to
become fixated on just because comparative anatomy 101 enables an equine vet
to distinguish himself from a bovine vet. >>

This has to do with more than anatomy--it also has to do with understanding
how that anatomy works.  And while roughage may be "important" to all
mammals, not all of us have fancy digestive equipment to turn it into useable
energy, and hence are also not as well geared to working off of that source
of energy.  BTW--since you've never been to vet school, perhaps you are
unaware of the fact that Anatomy 101 would be an undergrad class and that we
have to learn a bit more than that about how these critters function...  You
might find it edifying.

<<And where you'll find my own cites listed again and again and again.  An
exercise in futility. >>

And where you'll also see many others urging you to either really admit what
your sources say, or urging you to read more recent work from the same
authors, as Sarah already did in this debate as per Lon Lewis.  What I find
interesting about it all is that their academic views agree with what so many
of us docs see in the field.  That's a pretty convincing combo, and attacking
me because I don't keep a library at my fingertips doesn't change that
interesting little coincidence.  We've been over this ground before, too, and
other docs who are far more literature oriented have refuted your patter in
this forum, too.  I can't think of any docs more "up" on current literature
than Mathew McKay-Smith, and I even recall him weighing in on a past
discussion chastising you.  Sorry if I happen to trust docs like MMS and
Sarah Ralston--but the whole reason for others writing abstracts is so that
those of us who are not so librarily-inclined can have the information in a
digest form to further our educations.  Do you truly think that they are all
lying to us?  Boy, it's one heck of a conspiracy, then.

<<"Insoluble fiber is the most poorly utilized potential source of Dietary
energy. The higher the insoluble fiber content of feed, the lower the amount
of usable dietary energy that feed will provide."

"What is analyzed in a feed as dietary fiber consists of not only
polysaccharides composed of monosaccharides linked by beta bonds, but also
lignin and, in overheated feeds, starch that has been rendered undigestible
because of heat damage.">>

That's fine, Tom, and I'm not disputing that.  But--the above does NOT
address the energy levels that are actually derived from that source--only
states that you have to eat a lot more of it to get that energy.  No one EVER
disputed that.  The point is that the horse is DESIGNED to do that, has
adapted for centuries to eat that sort of quantity, and actually needs that
quantity in his gut for it to function properly.  No one is denying that he
can use some extra carbs--but you seem to be in some sort of denial about
what a horse really is and how he works.

But never mind--you've already admitted that you really ARE only talking
about supplementation here, instead of your earlier sweeping comments about
replacing all those nasty VFA's with carbs.  And that admission was really
all I was after here.

Heidi