Re: RC: Re: one of your type discussions on ridecamp now

In a message dated 12/15/99 8:38:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers writes:

<< And we also go overboard trying to prove that they're unique in the
mammalian world.   >>

Each species is unique in the mammalian world.  There are certainly
commonalities, but horses and cows don't work the same, either.

<< The horse functions much like any other mammal, especially when it comes
to athletic energetics. Keeping the gut moving in the horse is axiomatic, but
not critical mass in terms of energy metabolism. I'm not talking about
feeding sugar as the primary diet, just as a supplement during competition.
Do you really think that this compromises gut motility? FFA/VFA production?
All it compromises is the body's preference for fuel type during exercise.>>

I think you are more correct in how the horse USES the energy than in how he
gets it from the gut in the first place.

Actually, if you reread my post, I didn't say ANYTHING about the carbs
compromising the gut.  I was just trying to keep some focus on the fact that
the gut HAS to work to keep the horse healthy, and that the horse WILL create
a great deal of energy if that gut is maintained full of good quality
roughage.  What I'm trying to stay away from here is the impression that
somehow we can rocket fuel our horses, and that what they eat normally is, in
your own word, "sludge."  That "sludge" as you choose to call it is an
important part of the picture in the equine athlete, and the impression that
we are going to do it all with carbs just isn't so.  Furthermore, to cause
the body to "prefer" carbs to the VFA's DOES set one up for the
hills-and-valleys of energy availability.  As you said yourself about
carbs--"timing is everything."  Hence, since the exercise is ongoing, one
needs to maintain the steady state VFA production, EVEN if one supplements
with carbs, and one must supplement with carbs in such a way that they are
truly a supplement and not a shut-down of that steady production of energy
going on from the hindgut.

Heidi