Re: using euthanasia

Hi Kristi, Ridecampers,
   I have stayed out of this one as it has been very heated and opinionated to
the point that Kristi here feels bad for having been a responsible horse
keeper.
   No hoof no horse Kristi. Nuff said on that issue. If anyone thinks you did
wrong I wonder if they would have donated the money to pay for the nerve block
and the years of supporting a lame horse.
   I worked for a Rescue Organization in one of the worst places you can
imagine for horse welfare. I saw more than I needed to of starving, suffering
horses. The motto was to live and let live. Horses were not put down till the
last possible minute. Horses died in our arms a natural death, horses died in
our arms a euthanized death. Horses get sick and die. I faced days of hand
cutting grass for starving horses  because donations were not coming in to
feed horses that were unwanted and unneeded for a variety of reasons. One main
one being they were lame or injured. It got so bad at times that the horses in
the Rescue Organization needed to be rescued.
   I grew up watching horses going through Mikes Livestock Auction. Horses I
wanted so bad as a young 8 year old child would be sold to France for meat or
end up in dog food cans. I hated it. As an adult I despised the slaughter
house man. When A horse I wanted to love went to his number I would just burn
inside. A couple years ago I had to watch the slaughter house man take a group
of horse that had been dumped at the auction from a kids summer riding camp.
Sighs..
Kathleen
PS I did start writing to Senators when I was 8 to end the slaughter of
Mustangs and change what could be changed at the auctions. As long as we have
lame unwanted horses, we will have Mikes Livestock Auction.